Friday, April 27, 2012

The recovery process

Many friends had been concerned about the recovery after the myomectomy. Praise God that I could manage on my own starting from the 2nd day. Home coming was a joyful occasion as I can enjoy the luxury of being on my own bed, although was sleeping on my Mom's for about two weeks upon her insistence.

The last time she put me on a special diet but this round, I stopped it because a lot of attention to detail had to be observed. We had came to an agreement that I'd eat whatever she cooked, except seafood.

The last surgery, Dr Tham gave me laxatives to soften the stools. It was not to be this round. I suffered from bulks of constipation for five days, after more than three attempts on the fifth day then I could clear the bowers. Checked with a friend who had the same type of surgery a year ago. She conquered with me too. So, I was not travelling on the lonely road afterall. On the first week, had to empty the bladder hourly fearing the wound might be affected. Even sleep had to be disrupted too. Thank God, it's all over now and I could return to routine sleep hours.

As I had not experienced any pain, I started going out upon the removal of the surgical stockings and the plaster, which was about 18 days later.

Dr Tham asked me what I had eaten for the wound had healed very nicely. When I said, "No seafood," he said, "It's a chinese thing. You can eat anything". He also encouraged me to give Praise and Thanks to God for this miracle.

My fear was not with the surgery itself but the overdosage of the anaesthesia for I had heard of stories that some don't wake up from it. One of which happened to a friend's mother.

I spent 3rd April with Monica as it was her birthday. We had lunch at Compass Point and spent the greater part of the day catching up at her cosy home. We enjoyed the day although no birthday cake!

My cell group had an excursion at the Labrador Park on 7 April as a TGIF outreach event. Although only two visitors responded to the invitation, we had a great time despite the rain midway through the trail. We learnt more about this park and the significance it made to the early christians who came to Singapore to live or to trade. Dinner at the Bukit Panjang Hawker Centre was great for I shared a table with the children and noticed Kai had grown up, ordering his own food.

I commenced work at Dialogue in the Dark on 18 April. I took a few minutes to familiarise with the exhibition again. As I walked through the theme rooms by myself, the scripts gradually returned. Of course, the first tour wasn't as good as I had expected. Nevertheless, I was happy to resume work again.

Appreciate Wesley's staying behind to observe and providing positive feedback to help improve my tours for subsequent visitors.

About three weeks ago, I was constantly awakened by sharp pains from the left side of the incision. Sought Dr Tham's advice who told me that the intestines were making some adjustments. He also advised me to start light exercises to speed up the healing process.

Took his advice, the pain has gone. He also suggested me to start taking Evening Primrose Oil and Iron/Folic acid when I asked him which was good to take. He said, "Both also good for they regenerate the cells".

After the 2003 surgery, I had episodes of upper body cramps and he told me it was premenstrual syndrome. Then, he prescribed EPO which not only controlled hormone levels but also kept the growth of the fibroid at bay. I stopped taking it because the price had increased and I wasn't gainfully employed for a period of time.

From this episode, I realised that while I can live without somethings, some vital supplements are must have to keep you away from the surgeon's knife. This is especially true for me as it runs in my family. I am praying that this stops here and future generations will not suffer from this condition as medical costs is on the rise.

I had applied to the FCBS and am waiting for the result of my application. Hope this will come to fruition as I want to learn to be more attentive and sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Shall end here for now. Sayonara till the next post.

No comments: