Sunday, November 18, 2007

AN UNUSUAL ENCOUNTER

A friend informed me a job fare would be organised for People With Disabilities on 17 November at SengKang CC. Out of curiosity, I decided to go take a look. I went there knowing that I'd get nothing from it. True to my belief, the tour was over within 45 minutes. According to the organisers, They were members from the Singapore National Employers Federation.

Out of the 20s over exhibitors, most were introducing training skills for PWDs, for example, Society for the Physically Disabled, Bizlink, SAVH, and other VWOs. Though IBM and FairPrice were the two biggest corporations there, they were there to fact find, so they say. FairPrice indicated available jobs are for lower skilled personnel like retail assistance and troley pushers. I wonder why should large Corporations like these have to stereotype what PWDs are capable of doing? Don't they also know there are some of us who possess tertiary education and are as capable as our able-bodied counterparts?

I met Mayor of the NorthEast CDC, Mr Zainul Abidin Rasheed, who happened to drop by during that moment. I told him my impression and he encouraged me to give them some time allowance as this has been their first attempt. I Gave him my company business cards, hopefully, to be able to work with NECDC on projects. Mayor knew me and he graciously accepted my opinion.

After a meal at KFC, We happen to come across a financial advisor from Income, setting up a booth at Compass point. My friend wanted to find out about the financial plan he was promoting and asked me to listen with her and help ask questions.

When we sat down, he said, 'ask me your question'. I asked what he was promoting and he said, 'NTUC Flexy safe'. I then follow up with another question to which he said, 'let me talk'. So my friend and I allowed him do his presentation. At some point, he paused to take a call, lasting 5 minutes, calculating his client's earnings before us.

He then proceeded, 'How much do you have?' I said, 'suppose we would like to save $100.00 per month, what is the interest earn, what is the minimum period and will there be penalties upon withdrawals to meet emergencies?' He replied, we can save a minimum period and then can temporary stop the plan should the need arise and to resume when we are ready. He proceeded that part of our money would be used to cover protection fee. I asked, 'since the sum we placed with Income is a savings plans, what is protection fee?' he said, 'to pay the company's bills like my salary, staff to process your policy, etc.' I asked, 'Since the bulk of the sum is to purchase units, what is the risk?'You can get double the return, is it not enough?'

My friend continued, 'If i want to invest, can I use CPF funds?' he indicated it is possible. My friend then followed-up, 'What is the minimum amount?' he said, 'you tell me how much you want to invest, then, I help you to invest. Don't ask me what is the minimum. My client don't come to me with minimum amount. They always come with $20,000.00 or more'.

I then asked, 'if we don't know what is the minimum amount and don't know where the money is invested into, how can we check?' He said, My client don't talk like this. If you want to know more you can call 67881111'. At this, we left, put off by this financial advisor.

Having being in this industry not too long ago, I was being thought to be transparent with prospects and never to misrepresent the company. I'd always been transparent with my prospect, hence, did quite well in this industry.

I'm not implying this Financial advisor (or whatever his title is) is misrepresenting his organisation, I believe to turn suspects into clients, he has a lot to learn. Sir, I urge you, please adopt good practice and you will get many referrals.

No comments: